These are high times for large-scale Midtown development projects. If our calculations are accurate, roughly 400 stories of new residential, office, hotel and retail space have been proposed in the last few months, promising a true vertical jolt to the Midtown skyline — if the projects actually come to fruition. The latest contender in this space race is a familiar one: Daniel Corp. and Selig Enterprises' massive 12th & Midtown mixed-use epicenter. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that those developers hope to break ground this year on two additional towers, adding more vertical presence to a four-tower project that's already helped to reenergize Midtown and keep afloat the "Midtown Mile" vision. Both buildings would be residential, and one would be a bona fide whopper.
Together, the towers could add more than 800 apartments to a playing field where rents have shot past $2 per square foot. The first project, at Crescent Avenue and 11th St., would rise on a smallish vacant lot and connect to the existing 77 12th Street apartment tower. Secondly, there's the whopper: On Peachtree Street, between 12th and 13th streets, developers want to build 350 apartments and 180 condos — yes, condos — as part of a 50-story high-rise. These would join about 6,400 new residential units planned for Midtown and downtown alone, the newspaper reports, citing The Reid Report.
It's getting difficult to keep track of all the Midtown tower pitches, but here's quick recap, excluding student-focused apartment projects near Georgia Tech:
- In terms of true mega-development, a New York-based team has plans to build three towers with hotel and residential space on a 4.5-acre patch of land across the street from Four Season Atlanta in Midtown. Plans call for the towers to rise 60, 57 and about 39 stories, respectively, by 2020.
- In the compelling design category, The Integral Group LLC has pitched a 35-story building on Peachtree and Sixth streets with 400 aparments.
- At 15th and West Peachtree streets, AMLI Residential wants to build a 26-story apartment tower on the former Trump Towers site. This one would bring 350 units.
- Near the Midtown MARTA station, Wood Partners hopes to build a 19-story residential tower with 20,000 square feet of retail space.
- And lest we forget Tivoli Properties, who are said to be reviving plans to develop a key piece of Midtown real estate — 1138 Peachtree St., next to Club Opera — in the form of a 51-story mixed-use tower with 364 apartments. Down the street, Tivoli is also pursuing a project called Yoo on the Park, a 25-story tower tucked into a small lot at 207 13th St.
Phew. If we've excluded a Midtown project or two, please say so. Otherwise ... Bring on the cranes!
· Two more new towers planned for Midtown [Atlanta Business Chronicle]
· Will Trifecta Of Midtown Towers Actually Happen? Vote Now. [Curbed]
· Tivoli Reviving Plans for Huge Peachtree Tower (Again)? [Curbed]
· 12th & Midtown [Website]