To the north of the intersection of Piedmont Road and Cheshire Bridge Road, tucked beside Interstate 85 and the Buford-Spring Connector, sits a small district filled with old industrial buildings, a concrete plant, and a smattering of older homes.
Simultaneously in the middle of a bustling area, and yet somehow seemingly removed from the commotion, new village-like developments are rising here on former industrial sites.
As nearby Cheshire Bridge Road cleans up its act, this area appears to be in high demand.
One project, Manchester, is well underway, bringing townhouses and single-family homes — more than 100 new residences total — to the neighborhood. According to the project’s website, most of the homes are already sold — a testament to the desirable location, apparently.
Just down the street, fences and a notice of rezoning have gone up, indicating that Beazer Homes is planning to bring a development to the area as well.
With the two projects green-lighting, it seems inevitable that a stalled development — a relic of the Great Recession’s bust — located between the two will soon gain steam again.
- A diagram showing the three development sites: 1) Manchester 2) Beazer Homes site 3) pre-Recession development. Michael Kahn, Curbed
- Construction progressing on the Manchester site from near Piedmont Road. Michael Kahn, Curbed
- Looking down Lambert Drive toward the development. Michael Kahn, Curbed
- Sewer tie-ins show where homes will be built. Michael Kahn, Curbed
- A new road has been constructed through the development, linking Lambert Drive to Manchester Street. Michael Kahn, Curbed
- The new homes evoke old styling and a quaint village setting. Michael Kahn, Curbed
- The abandoned development site, just south of the Manchester site, on Bismark Road. Michael Kahn, Curbed
- The continuation of the formerly dead-ended Bismark Road, leading into the Manchester development. Michael Kahn, Curbed
- Michael Kahn, Curbed
- Construction on a row of three-story townhomes in Manchester. Michael Kahn, Curbed
- The site waiting for redevelopment by Beazer Homes. Michael Kahn, Curbed
- Michael Kahn, Curbed
- A site plan of the Manchester development. Hedgewood
- Manchester by Hedgewood [development website]
- Cheshire Bridge demolition means fewer strippers, less lasagna, more apartments [Curbed]