clock menu more-arrow no yes
Shutterstock

How some of Atlanta's historic schools have been repurposed over the years

Several of Atlanta's oldest surviving school buildings haven't hosted classes in years

View as Map

Across the metro, kids are gearing up to head back to school starting today (or, for some, last week). For the City of Atlanta, that means dozens of school buildings are naturally prepping for the return of students.

But interestingly, some of the city's oldest school buildings aren't welcoming kids this year — and haven't in a long time. With this map, we set out to find a few of Atlanta's historic school buildings that have been repurposed in various ways over the years. In most cases, these were pioneers on the city's adaptive-reuse scene.

Granted, this list is just start. What other converted old schoolhouses are deserving of recognition around town?

Read More

1. Bass Junior High School

Copy Link
1080 Euclid Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30307
(866) 791-0887
Visit Website

Built as a junior high school to serve the area around Little Five Points in 1923, the school was named for Confederate Captain William A. Bass. Known as the "School on the Hill," the facility became a high school in 1947. After 67 years, the school — listed on the National Register of Historic Places — closed in 1990 and reopened as lofts in 1998.

2. Girls' High School

Copy Link
745 Hansell St SE
Atlanta, GA 30312

Originally opened as one of the original Atlanta Public schools in 1872, the school moved to a grand building just east of Grant Park in 1925. When Atlanta high schools became co-ed in 1947, the school was renamed Roosevelt High School after the recently deceased president. The school operated in the building until 1985, when it was converted into apartments.

3. Moreland Elementary School

Copy Link
1083 Austin Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

Constructed as Moreland Elementary School in 1919, the building served Inman and Candler Park communities as a public school for 63 years. Upon closing in 1982, the facility began to house local service groups and was rechristened as the Little Five Points Community Center. Today the building houses a range of functions including the Horizon Theatre Company and the Seed & Feed Marching Abominable's HQ.

4. O'Keefe Junior High School

Copy Link
151 6th St NW
Atlanta, GA 30313

Built as O'Keefe Junior High School in 1923, the facility was spared destruction during the construction of The Connector just to the east. The last class graduated from O'Keefe in 1973, and the building was then swallowed up by Georgia Tech. Highly visible from The Connector today, this relic is still utilized by Tech.

5. Spring Street Elementary School

Copy Link
1404 Spring St NW
Atlanta, GA 30309
(404) 873-3391
Visit Website

Built in 1914 on the northern fringes of Midtown, Spring Street Elementary School was the first elementary school in Atlanta to be integrated — with the children of Coretta and Martin Luther King Jr. and Juanita and Ralph David Abernathy in attendance — according to the Saporta Report. The building became the Center for Puppetry Arts in 1978; a fanciful new addition to the center debuted last year, obscuring the original building from its namesake street.

6. Inman Park Schoolhouse

Copy Link
729 Edgewood Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

The Inman Park Schoolhouse has stood on Edgewood Avenue for more than 125 years, around the corner from present-day Krog Street Market. The work of Gottfried Norrman — a noted Swedish-born architect who built homes around Inman Park and structures for the International Cotton Exhibition of 1881 — the building is now 13 airy lofts.

7. Kirkwood School

Copy Link
138 Kirkwood Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30317
(404) 377-4485

Built in 1910, the old brick school in the heart of Kirkwood earned a slot on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002 and was converted to Kirkwood School Lofts in 2005. Just a few of the 24 units have become available through resale since then, according to allatlantalofts.com.

8. Highland Elementary School

Copy Link
978 North Avenue NE
Atlanta, GA 30306

Now the Highland School Lofts, this building sits down the street from Manuel's Tavern and was known as Highland Elementary from 1911 until it shuttered in 1972. An award-winning renovation started in 2003, resulting in 30 units with ceilings up to 14-feet tall and cool touches like original wood floors, school bells, and clocks.

Loading comments...

1. Bass Junior High School

1080 Euclid Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30307

Built as a junior high school to serve the area around Little Five Points in 1923, the school was named for Confederate Captain William A. Bass. Known as the "School on the Hill," the facility became a high school in 1947. After 67 years, the school — listed on the National Register of Historic Places — closed in 1990 and reopened as lofts in 1998.

1080 Euclid Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

2. Girls' High School

745 Hansell St SE, Atlanta, GA 30312

Originally opened as one of the original Atlanta Public schools in 1872, the school moved to a grand building just east of Grant Park in 1925. When Atlanta high schools became co-ed in 1947, the school was renamed Roosevelt High School after the recently deceased president. The school operated in the building until 1985, when it was converted into apartments.

745 Hansell St SE
Atlanta, GA 30312

3. Moreland Elementary School

1083 Austin Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30307

Constructed as Moreland Elementary School in 1919, the building served Inman and Candler Park communities as a public school for 63 years. Upon closing in 1982, the facility began to house local service groups and was rechristened as the Little Five Points Community Center. Today the building houses a range of functions including the Horizon Theatre Company and the Seed & Feed Marching Abominable's HQ.

1083 Austin Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

4. O'Keefe Junior High School

151 6th St NW, Atlanta, GA 30313

Built as O'Keefe Junior High School in 1923, the facility was spared destruction during the construction of The Connector just to the east. The last class graduated from O'Keefe in 1973, and the building was then swallowed up by Georgia Tech. Highly visible from The Connector today, this relic is still utilized by Tech.

151 6th St NW
Atlanta, GA 30313

5. Spring Street Elementary School

1404 Spring St NW, Atlanta, GA 30309

Built in 1914 on the northern fringes of Midtown, Spring Street Elementary School was the first elementary school in Atlanta to be integrated — with the children of Coretta and Martin Luther King Jr. and Juanita and Ralph David Abernathy in attendance — according to the Saporta Report. The building became the Center for Puppetry Arts in 1978; a fanciful new addition to the center debuted last year, obscuring the original building from its namesake street.

1404 Spring St NW
Atlanta, GA 30309

6. Inman Park Schoolhouse

729 Edgewood Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30307

The Inman Park Schoolhouse has stood on Edgewood Avenue for more than 125 years, around the corner from present-day Krog Street Market. The work of Gottfried Norrman — a noted Swedish-born architect who built homes around Inman Park and structures for the International Cotton Exhibition of 1881 — the building is now 13 airy lofts.

729 Edgewood Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

7. Kirkwood School

138 Kirkwood Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30317

Built in 1910, the old brick school in the heart of Kirkwood earned a slot on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002 and was converted to Kirkwood School Lofts in 2005. Just a few of the 24 units have become available through resale since then, according to allatlantalofts.com.

138 Kirkwood Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30317

8. Highland Elementary School

978 North Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA 30306

Now the Highland School Lofts, this building sits down the street from Manuel's Tavern and was known as Highland Elementary from 1911 until it shuttered in 1972. An award-winning renovation started in 2003, resulting in 30 units with ceilings up to 14-feet tall and cool touches like original wood floors, school bells, and clocks.

978 North Avenue NE
Atlanta, GA 30306